Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 2: Caricature Presidents




On Friday, I taught the kids how to make caricature faces.
We started the lesson doing a blind-contour exercise.
Then we moved on to realistic faces.

I emphasized how each student's chosen President has a different face shape.
No two people look alike!




We practiced drawing a realistically rendering of their President.
Some students really impressed me with their drawings.
They were working so hard to show the unique features of their President.


I could tell that some kids really loved to draw. 
When we moved on to caricatures, I showed the students some ways to exaggerate the features of their President. Surprisingly, the cartoon version was a lot harder for the kids to draw than the realisic drawing.

I think some kids struggled to find the balance between real and silly.


This coming Friday I think we will continue to work on these faces and practice some more.
I am so impressed with my fifth graders!
They are awesome!


Check this out! A few weeks ago they wrote poems and drew pictures of Starry Night.
They did a beautiful job!

I loved walking down the hallway and seeing such amazing art!



2 comments:

  1. The 5th graders are impressive! Looks so fun! What exactly does "blind-contour" mean? I've never heard that term before and would love to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for your lovely comment! it's so good to meet you! (and I'm excited to send you some gigantic valentine posters).

    ReplyDelete