Monday, February 20, 2012

January 27-Color and Finish Caricature

I came in and showed a powerpoint to the students to give them a few more ideas about caricatures.
Last time, some students were a little wary about drawing cartoons after trying to realistically render portraits of the presidents. They would rather have a realistic portrait than a cartoon drawing.

I showed them these examples and then I think they got a better understanding.
I emphasized how it's important to exaggerate only a few features so that the President they are drawing is still recognizable. I had them each form their hands like little circles and told them to pretend it was a magnifying glass. They should try to magnify different parts of the face!

 


Here are some examples from the kids:


This student was really pleased with how his turned out. I can tell art is one of his favorite subjects.




I loved seeing everyone working hard on their own portraits. 


I gave the students a hand out with cartoon features. This boy, really used the sheet well. His cartoon eyes look awesome!






































Look how great the portraits look in the hallway! I was SO happy and impressed.
The teacher I work with even went into the other 5th grade classes to show them what I had taught the kids. The hall was lined with 5th grade President Caricatures. 

It made me so glad to be an art teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment