Monday, February 20, 2012

Jan 31-A Visit From Frida

I came in dressed up like Frida Kahlo!






























The kids though my unibrow was very funny. I showed a powerpoint about Frida's life and her artwork.

 

We talked about how Frida really loved painting self-portraits.
" I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best."

We then transitioned into how Frida used a lot of animals her portraits and how animals can make art too. I used this quiz made by one of my profesor's to see if the kid's could tell if the art was made by an animal or a human. 

Then we watched this video about a REAL elephant painting.


The kids loved it! We had a great discussion about animal art aesthetics. Most of the kids would rather buy a painting from an elephant and they said they would definitely visit an exhibit of art made by animals. I thought that was so interesting.

I finished the lesson by asking my students to brainstorm ideas of what they would include in a self-portrait of themselves that didn't have a picture of them. 

I wanted them to think of things that represented them like sports, books, TV, food, etc.

It was a really fun art day! I'm excited to continue in our theme of portraits. 

1 comment:

  1. You look great as Frida! Your enthusiasm and dedication is awesome!

    ReplyDelete